U.S. Non Immigrant Visa

U.S. Non Immigrant Visas

Visitor Visa
  • A visa is typically required for foreign nationals who want to enter the United States. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2)

          B-1 Visa
  • Consult with business associates
  • Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate a contract
          B-2 Visa
  • Tourism
  • Vacation (holiday)
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)
Student Visa
  • A visa is typically required for foreign nationals who want to enter the United States. You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F visa or an M visa.
F-1 Student Visa
  • The F-1 visa allows a student to temporarily live in the United States for a defined period of time while studying at a school, college, seminary, or conservatory
  • To accept foreign students on F-1 visas, your academic institution must be certified by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through the Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP)
  • You will be permitted to work, but because this is a non-immigrant visa, you will be limited in where and what you may do. Finally, while your husband and children may accompany you, they will be unable to work, but your children may enroll in school. They will be on F-2 visas and will be subject to the status of your visa
M-1 Student Visa
  • A foreign student with an M-1 student visa can study full-time in the United States at a technical, vocational, or other nonacademic institution. In terms of process and eligibility, the M-1 visa is comparable to the F-1 visa, which is for non-US citizens seeking full-time enrolment at a language school or academic institution — such as a university, seminary, conservatory, or high school
  • If the M1 visa holder has a spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21, they may also enter the United States on an M2 visa. The M2 visa allows dependents to join the M1 visa holder in the United States for the duration of their study
P-3 Visa
  • The P-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States to perform, teach, or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a culturally distinct program. You can bring your dependents with you on P-4. You may stay in the U.S. for the period necessary to complete the performance or event for which you were admitted, and it may not exceed one year.
E-1/E-2 Treat Trader or Treaty Investor  
  • E-1 visas are granted to foreign nationals of certain countries who wish to enter the United States in order to conduct international trade. Alternatively, certain individuals may qualify for an E-2 visa as Treaty Investors. In order to qualify for this visa, applicants must be citizens of a country that maintains a trade treaty with the U.S. and demonstrate their intention to conduct substantial trade in the U.S. To qualify as a Treaty Investor, the investment must be substantial in an operating enterprise that contributes significantly to the economy of the United States. A large investment in a passive bank account won’t fulfill the requirement.
E-3 Specialty Occupation Workers from Australia
  • The E-3 classification is solely applicable to Australian citizens. You must be coming to the United States solely to perform services in a specialty occupation that requires theoretical and practical application or a body of knowledge in professional fields, as well as at least a bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, for entry into the occupation in the United States.
    Regardless of nationality, dependent spouses and children under the age of 21 may be eligible for dependent E-3 status. After arriving in the United States, spouses may apply to USCIS for work authorization.
H-1B Visa
  • The H-1B is a U.S. work visa in high demand. An employer must offer the applicant a job in a specialty occupation, and the position must be in the United States. The job generally requires a bachelor’s degree or higher. There are a limited number of H-1B visas issued each year. In order to navigate the complicated process of H-1B work visas, many companies engage the services of a law firm with experience in immigration law. This U.S. work visa can be extended up to six years.
O-1 Visa
  • In the United States, employers are able to hire foreign nationals with certain extraordinary abilities using the O-1 work visa type. The O-1A visa includes individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, arts and athletics. An O-1 visa holder can typically stay for up to three years, but can extend in one-year increments.
L-1 Visa
  • Larger companies usually use the L-1 work visa to bring executives, managers, or specialized employees from foreign branches to the United States. L-1 visa holders may be sent to establish a U.S. presence or to relocate temporarily to the U.S. branch of a company. The L-1 U.S. work visa is sub-categorized into L-1A (managerial/executive capacity) and L-1B (specialized knowledge) visas. Employees are granted an L-1 visa for an initial period of three years that can be extended up to a maximum of seven years.
TN Visa
  • The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created what’s known as the TN visa. TN visas are available to qualified nationals of Canada and Mexico for employment in the U.S. But there are very specific eligibility requirements. This U.S. work visa type is only available to certain professions. The list contains a variety of occupations including: accountants, architects, engineers, designers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists and teachers. Professionals in the TN category generally have a Bachelor’s degree or higher. TN professionals are granted a three-year initial stay, with a three-year extension possible.

Since its inception in 2018, J Salazar Law Firm has been dedicated to the exclusive practice of U.S. Immigration Law. Here, we represent our clients in all aspects of immigration law, including employment cases, family matters, removal and asylum, investment cases and all immigration NOIDS, RFEs & Motion to Reopen.

Useful Links

Social Contact

©2023. J Salazar Law Firm PC. All Rights Reserved.